Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Last full day in Budapest


Last full day in Budapest and it started off with the "obligatory" breakfast. It was GREAT again. After breakfast I stopped by the hotel desk and asked about the Boat tours of the Danube. The first one would leave at 10 am so I had time to go back to the room, pack up the camera and walk to pier 7 to catch the boat. Of course I planned to walk down the main shopping street to see what all was open and to kill time getting to the boat.

I stopped by the internet cafe for 30 minutes, stopped in a few shops, had a coke, and mailed some post cards once I found the mail box deposit. Then off to the boat. I think I walked by every pier on the Danube before I found #7, but I did find it and in plenty of time. I waited in the waiting room for about 15 minutes then the 'ship ahoy' was sounded and I 'pushed' my way to the front of the line!!! ;-)

The boat looked brand new, very nice for sighseeing and the tour was again in 12 languages on headphones, and of course, playing the "Blue Danube Waltz". Just prior to pulling up anchor the three hostesses lined up at the front of the boat and welcomed everyone in all twelve languages, and seemed very fluent in doing so. It was a nice touch, then we all donned our headsets to listen to the tour in our chosen language.

I had already seen a lot of the sights but it was great seeing them unobstructed from the river. The tour also included a one hour waling tour of Margarets Island. A beautiful little island that sits between Buda and Pest in the middle of the Danube. It has a history that I'm sure I don't remember correctly, so you can google it to learn more about it. A very pretty little Island and some nice sights there, especially the old convent, a new section of which was just unearthed 3 years ago.

So after the one hour on the Island, another boat picked us up and we were on our way back to the pier 7 starting point.
Once off the boat, I headed back to Vaci St...the pedestrian shopping street a couple blocks off the river in the Pest section. Again I walked slowly down the street looking in EVERY window and again stopping by the Internet cafe for a 15 minute session...is much cheaper there, so just checked email and back out on the street. I had an ulterior motive for strolling down this street again...I just HAD to have another Nutella Gelato..this time a DOUBLE dip. Um-um GOOD!!!!

I continued my walk down Vaci street licking my nutella's and at the end of the street I just happened to see old number 49 just sitting there calling my name, so I hopped aboard for the ride back to the hotel. Once there I donned my bathrobe and headed down to the spa for a dip in the thearapudic waters. Today the steam bath was extra HOT, cold only stay in a couple of minutes then out to the cold pool...well I couldn't take that either so spent my time in the 36C and 38C pools. Then I noticed the exit to the indoor pool. My god it was BEAUTIFUL...if I knew how to get to the balcony there to take pictures I would, but it is a beautiful pool.

Once finished there I came back to the room, changed and headed out for dinner. I had planned to go back to Fatale again but decided I wanted to find something close to the hotel so I could get back and get things packed up for tomorrow morning's departure. I walked down a new adjacent street past something that must be a college, but all behind closed gates. I walked about three blocks then cut back over to the street that runs in front of the hotel and stopped at the same restaurant I was at a couple of days ago and had a Hungarian style steak. It was DELICIOUS!!!!! As I sat at one of the street tables eating and watching people go up and down the street, I realized I had never seen SO MANY white people in one place. Young, old, bikes, cars, busses, trolly's, motercycles, scooters, skate boards, and skates. Any form of transportation you can think of. One small car with two lawn mowers on top!!!

Well as you can tell, I've fallen in love with Budapest. Back in the room after dinner and updating you on my last day here I'll sign on and post this and maybe even get a couple of pictures with it. Then I'll complete packing for an early departure and will next update you from Frankfurt...or enroute. It will be an overnight train again....so may be two days, but you will get two reports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home