Monday, May 31, 2010

Back in Athens

Finally made it off the boat last night. Wasn’t any dock space left when we arrived so we kinda had to circle around and wait for a space to open up. Once we made it to the dock we were quite a ways from the bus going where we needed to go. Once we made it to the bus stop we realized we didn’t know which bus we needed to take so finally got a cab and made it home.

This morning…C O F F E E!!!!! Was So good. The rest of the day has been spent catching up on laundry…the Greek way. Just nice to be settled once again and not feel like you need to spend the whole day seeing what there is to see.


Wanted to catch up on the dirty laundry so tried my hand at using the French washing machine and hanging the clothes as is the custom in Greece. Finally got the machine figured out...well at least I think I did, not sure I got the detergent in the right hole, but the clothes smelled right when they came out.
Decided to take a trip on my own to the grocery store to pick up a few things…beer, chips, just the staples!!! First thing out of the door took the elevator to “1”…assuming that was the 1st floor. Got off and tried to get out of the door leading outside. Thought well, maybe I need to used the key to unlock it…luckily I came to my senses prior to inserting the key…something just didn’t seem right. Turns out it was the apartment on the floor below. I looked in the elevator again and “ground floor” is “0”!!!!

So…finally got out of the building and headed to the store. Looked around the first floor, found all I needed then me and my basket got on the elevator and went to the second floor…all done headed to the checkout. When I paid all my things were there in a pile with plastic bags piled on top of them…I finally got the idea I was supposed to sack my own…thought I was at Aldi!

Left the store, made one more stop and headed home. Went up to the elevator door…wouldn’t open, put my key in…wouldn’t work. Finally looked around and realized I was at the wrong building, so went to the next building over…tried to open the elevator door, wouldn’t work, tried to unlock it with the key, wouldn’t open…finally pushed the buzzer and got the door open from above.

Made it in the house, unloaded the groceries and found I was missing 5 items, so took my receipt and marched right back to the store. Three women hollering Greek all across the store but the outcome was…”sorry”. I thought well I’ll check the other place I stopped just to check…sure ‘nuff there was my bag sitting on the Pepsi machine, so finally got the whole purchase home.

It has been a BUSY day!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home